About Me

My photo
About me, always hard to put into words a description about myself. We always see ourselves differently than others do. My likes: I love sports, all kinds. Especially NASCAR and baseball. Yea, strange I know, a bleeding heart liberal who likes NASCAR and country music. But here I am. I also am profoundly proud of the relationship that I have with my children and my family. They made me who I am today. Pink is my favorite color. I like all kinds of music, except perhaps rap. I am a rabid NPR listener and love my doggie. I work full time, am a semi-vegetarian, a voracious reader and a wanna be writer. Doing all that I do in the beautiful South Florida sunshine.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Answering machines should be mandatory for businesses

So, I went to run errands, er, check out a used book store on the east side of town. One of only two in the county. I tried calling beforehand but got no answer. No, this wasn't a repeat of where I showed up at the address only to find that the economy had taken it as a prisoner of war. Rather, this particular indie shop is closed on Sundays. Isn't it a requirement for a business license to have an answering machine at a minimum to indicate what your hours are. Apparently in North East Ft. Lauderdale this is not the case.

Not wanting my trek eastward to have been in vain I took US1 to the two story and rather large B&N to check it out. I don't have a two story one close to me and I wonder if it's the same size or is it just my imagination because it's two stories. Either way, it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. My daughter loves books, so of course after getting my mandatory Skinny latte from the SB counter I went upstairs to the children's section. Once Shy had her pick, I went down to peruse the bargain sections. I found this...

in hardcover no less, for a whopping $6.98

I bought it as I've heard nothing but good things about this book. AND my library has it classified under the YA section so I'm wondering if my 12 y/o would like to read it when I do and we can discuss. Either way, a bargain I couldn't resist. It did mean, though that I would have to yet again delay my purchase of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, a book that I've been dying to read. Regardless of the stacks and stacks I have at home, once I get this book, I'm dropping everything.

Now, back to Japan and Neuromancer.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Wow, YA? That surprises me. I read it about two years ago and really liked it. Then again, I am a "Dracula" fan.